2009/05/21

DAY6: HELLO. I'M RACHEL, YOUR DAUGHTER.

I see The Father for the first time in 15 years. He comes to fetch me from The House That Nearly Was in order to take me car searching/shopping. He's chubbier than I remember and he's dyed his hair this sandy/auburn colour that doesn't quite hide the fact that he's gone completely grey. I can see he's dressed up for the occasion, sporting a new, crisp, checkered shirt, and the pony tail is gone. (I had a long paragraph about the pony tail here but then realised it wouldn't be fair to judge as it was the early 90's at the time...) The initial reunion is as I expected it would be, forced and strained. There is too much unsaid stuff between us for it to have been a joyous moment. The car ride to Pinetown (apparently second-hand car Mecca) is spent listening to him complain about his new Thai wife. I kept thinking to myself how it must feel for him to have me suddenly turn up in his life like this. One image came to mind: 

I think it's fair to say that a few others in Durbs are probably feeling the same way about my arrival.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

weirdos